IQAC - Internal Quality Assurance CellA post-Accreditation Quality Sustenance Activity
In pursuance of the National Action Plan of the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore, for performance evaluation, assessment and accreditation and quality up gradation of institutions of higher education, the NAAC proposes that every accredited institution establish an Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) as a post-accreditation quality sustenance measure. Since quality enhancement is a continuous process, the IQAC will become a part of an institution's system and work towards realizing the goals of quality enhance and sustenance. The prime task of the IQAC is to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the performance of institutions.
The guidelines provided in the following pages will facilitate the institution in the creation and operation of IQAC. The work of the IQAC is the first step towards the internalization and institutionalization of quality enhancement. Its success depends upon the sense of belongingness and participation. It can inculcate in all the constituents of the institutions. It will not be yet another hierarchical structure or record-keeping exercise in the institution; it will be a facilitative and participatory voluntary system/unit/organ of the institution. Quality circles in industries operate on similar lines.
The basic purposes of the IQAC are:
- To develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the performance of institutions.
- To assure all the stakeholders connected with higher education about the quality of education provided by the institutions
IQAC shall evolve mechanisms and procedures for:
- Timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial tasks.
- The relevant and quality of academic and research programmes.
- Equitable access to and affordability of academic programmes for various section of society
- Optimisation and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning
- The creditability of evaluation procedures
- The adequacy, maintenance and proper allocation of support structure and services
- Research sharing and networking with other institution in India and abroad.
Some of the functions excepted of the IQAC are:
- Development and application of quality benchnmarks/parameters for the various academic and administrative activities of the institutions
- Dissemination of information on the various quality parameters of higher education
- Organisation of workshops, seminars on quality related themes and promotion of quality circles
- Documentation of the various programmes/activities leading to quality improvement
- Acting as a nodal agency of the institution for quality-related activities
- Preparation of the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) to be submitted to NAAC based on the quality parameters.
IQAC will facilitates/contribute:
- To a heightened level of clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards quality enhancement and facilitate internalization of the quality culture
- To enhancement and integration among the various activities of the institution and institutionalize many good practices
- To provide a sound basis for decision-making to improve institutional functioning
- To act as a change agent in the institution
- To better internal communication